Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cognitivism in Practice

Okay, so I want you to close your eyes and go back in time. I am your fourth grade English teacher and I am giving you your assignment. You are to write a paper titled "My favorite season is...". I now tell you to get out a piece of paper and start brainstorming your ideas.



The picture above is more then likely what you would have developed. Can you think of something that this resembles? I'll give you a moment to think about............


Okay, could it be that brainstorming can also be concept mapping? By George I think he is right. Concept mapping is a way of organizing information into visual networks of connections. Concept mapping is an advanced organizer, which we read about in our learning resource. This leads into the Cognitive Learning Theory.

The Cognitive Learning Theory deals with information processing. How we take it in and what we do with it. Technology has helped make this a lot easier for teachers to work with. We have PowerPoint's that allow us to include informational images;

Spreadsheets allow us to enter data and process it. In my finance class, I do two projects with my students. That get to buy a house and a car. They do research first, getting numbers and information that is needed. Then the students input their information into a spreadsheet and calculate different options for mortgages. For the car students can compare and contrast three different cars, as well as, determining if it is better to lease or buy the vehicle.

Technology plays a great role in several learning theories. So what is your favorite season?

5 comments:

  1. I need to start putting pictures on my blog posts. Your posts always grab my attention. Your spreadsheet deal sounds great to me as a teacher, but when I was going to high school I hated computer classes like...for instance...Finance 101. I'm sorry. Part of the reason I disliked it so much was the constant use of Excel. I like the representations that come out of Excel, but I still don't like working with it. Perhaps I need to take another class now that I'm not a teenager and am not constantly thinking about the pretty girls on either side of me. Very distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to state that I really like your blog a lot. You have been using what we learned this week with posting pictures to go along with your blog and this really catches my eye when I start to read your postings. I look forward to keep reading your blog and seeing your visual representations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    My favorite season is whatever season it happens to be, but if I did have to narrow it down it would definitely be autumn. I mean what is better than Big Ten (12) football and watching The Ohio State Buckeyes on Saturdays, and then NFL football on Sundays? I like what you do with your students in making a spread sheet for buying a car and a house. I can remember doing something like that in my Algebra II class my Sophomore year in high school and it put having monthly payments into perspective and it gave me an idea of a realistic budget that I would need to follow in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input everyone! I really enjoy looking for pictures to add to my blog posts because they help me in conveying my messages as well as helping me to learn information.

    And Anthony, Autumn is definitely my favorite season--being an alumni of OSU, we start a countdown of how many days it is until football season starts after their last game. Go Bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use concept mapping to teach my students about volcanoes, earthquakes, and the rock cycle. I am lucky in that most of these things come in threes. For example; there are three types of earthquake waves, there are three types of volcanoes, and there are three types of rocks. I could go on but that would just bore you if you are not an Earth Scientist. What I like about this is that it makes my concept maps very concise. I have often seen concept maps that are too busy. I think you can put too much information in a concept map. They should be simple and easy to read. There really is such a thing as information overload. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete